Tuesday, 6 October 2015

Fractions and problem solving

We have been learning all about fractions and what a fraction is. We decided that a fraction is fair. It needs to be the same shape, same size or the same number.
We have also been doing loads of thinking and problem solving in our maths. We think problem solving is hard but we are very proud of our learning!

WALT: find the fractions of sets and shapes.
Success Criteria
  • I can use what I know to solve problems
  • I can use a picture to show my thinking
  • I can use materials to show my thinking
  • My shares are fair (the same shape, same size or the same number)

How I am going

I can use what I know to solve problems
Kerri thinks



I can use a picture to show my thinking
Kerri thinks



I can use materials to show my thinking
Kerri thinks



My shares are fair (the same shape, same size or the same number)
Kerri thinks


Reflection

My favourite part was: when I solved it because it is hard.

It was really hard when: solving it because I didn't get any help, I had to do my own thinking.        

Something that really helped me was: using the materials to show my thinking


Something new I learned was: that drawing pictures can help me in maths.

Kerri Thinks
Problem solving can be really tricky and you have to think about what the question is really asking you to work out. In our group time you are doing a great job of thinking about what you need to do and using materials to help you and show your thinking. Your next step is to use these skills when you are solving problems by yourself. Remember to use your time wisely, pictures and materials can help with all your maths learning - maintain it, problem solving and practise it.

No comments:

Post a Comment